Monday, August 18, 2008

Storms... Olympics.... the rest

There was a hell of a storm in Shanghai last night. The thunder rocked the buildings and the lightning lit the skies for hours. The summer storms are magnificent here. The lighting bolts come right down in between the buildings. The rain hammers down, it's relentless. It's fun though. Epic. 

The Olympics are ongoing. The Liu Xiang fiasco all kicked off this week. I feel sorry for the guy. I mean, how long must he have trained for that race? Only to injure himself during training. Man, he must feel devastated. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to win the gold, in Beijing, and that happens. Awful. In Shanghai emotions are running high because he is from here, Shanghainese born and bred. Everyone was gutted. Not as gutted as he is though, I imagine. 

But other than the major dramas the Olympics do not really interest me. My students often ask me how many medals team GB has and I have to say that I don't know. They think that's pretty funny. I'm just pleased that the football season has started again. I wasn't able to watch England last night, as it would have involved staying up until 3 am and I have work today. I have learned, over many years, that watching England is not worth that kind of commitment. 

The roof is leaking again. It started the other night. I have come to the conclusion that nothing ever really gets fixed in China. It just gets patched up for a bit. It's the same with our shower, which was fine for a few weeks after the 'plumber' came round but is now back to normal. Hey ho, I guess the same happens in the UK. But at least you can complain there, not like here, it's futile. 

The heat is dropping. I think autumn is on its way. We can only hope...

No comments: